7 Home Remedies That Will Make You Stop Snoring
If you are breaking your head over snoring, then here’s the good news! You are not alone. Half of American adults snore, to be more precise 45% of adults snore occasionally. The results of snoring can range from minor to major. Read on the blog to know everything about snoring and some effective remedies to prevent it.
What causes snoring?
People snore for different reasons, so before you jump to a solution, you need to find out the reason that’s causing it. Some of the common causes include:
Age: As you age, your throat becomes narrower, the muscle tone of your throat decreases. Though you can’t stop this wearing process, some throat exercises can help you prevent snoring.
Overweight: Excess fat around the neck area could be one of the reasons for snoring. Fatty tissues and poor muscle tone contribute to this condition. Losing fat around the neck can put an end to your daily snoring ritual.
Nasal and sinus problems: When the nasal passage is blocked, it automatically makes inhalation very difficult. When there is such a vacuum in the throat, it leads to snoring.
Alcohol and smoking habits: Alcohol and smoking habits relax your muscles. Increased muscle relaxation can lead to more snoring.
Built body: Men are more likely to have a narrower air passage, a cleft palate, and enlarged adenoids. These factors contribute to snoring. Besides, for men, the air passage is narrower than for women. That’s why men snore more than women. Since you can’t reduce the size of this passage, all you could do is change your lifestyle, and bedtime routines.
Sleep posture: Sleeping on your back relaxes and blocks the airway. Changing the sleep position could make snoring less painful.
Above are some of the reasons why you snore. Now let’s jump into fixing it. Below are the remedies that drastically reduce or fix the problem.
11 ways to lose weight
- Lose weight: This will reduce the amount of tissue in the throat that might be causing snoring. You can also reduce snoring by reducing calorie intake. Eat healthy food in smaller portions. You can also seek help from a nutritionist.
- Sleep on one side: Like mentioned earlier, sleeping on the back blocks the airflow. To improve the airflow, try to sleep on one side- this will automatically reduce the snoring. Ask your partner if he/she has found any changes or reduction in snoring.
- Use nose vents: Nose vents can improve the nasal passage and decrease airflow resistance. This also reduces breathing difficulties and eliminates your snoring problems.
- Treat your chronic allergies: Allergies make many people breathe through the mouth and not the nose. When there is breathing through the mouth, this will increase your likelihood of snoring. Consult your doctor and get allergy medications that improve your situation.
- Fix structural problems in the nose: Some injuries give people deviated spectrum. When there is a misalignment of the wall that separates two sides of the nose, then there will be restricted airflow. This condition can cause snoring. To fix this, it’s necessary to get surgery done. Talk to your doctor about the necessary measures you need to take.
- Limit your alcohol consumption: Do not consume alcohol at least 2 hours before bedtime. If you quit alcohol, then consider half of your snoring problems are solved.
- Stop smoking: Smoking and drinking are two unhealthy habits that could hamper your health in many ways. No wonder your smoking habits make you snore at night. Try quitting smoking, if you are struggling to quit, talk to therapists and try solutions like nicotine patches.
- Get enough sleep: Sleeping can improve your overall well-being. Make sure you sleep a minimum of seven to eight hours at night and maintain a good sleep cycle throughout.
- Use oral appliances: Oral appliances can keep the air passage open for a very long time. When the air passage expands, one can breathe easily and this prevents snoring. However, you need your dentist’s help to get one of these made.
- Use continuous positive airway pressure machine: This treatment is used to treat obstructive sleep apnea. The pressurized masks can keep the airway open and help you breathe without any interruption.
- Wear palatal implants: These are also called ‘pillar procedures’. It involves injecting braided strands of polyester filament into your mouth’s soft palate.
- UPPP treatment: This treatment tightens the throat tissue and helps in reducing snoring. LAUPP is another treatment proven to be more effective than UPPP.
- Somnoplasty: This new treatment uses low-intensity radio waves to shrink the soft palate. This method will automatically reduce snoring.
Snoring not only affects your health but also disrupts your partner’s sleep. Trying one of the above methods can immediately fix the problem. If the problem persists, consult your doctor, get the right done.